Cleft oak is a an incredibly durable and beautifull material . Made from heart of oak that has been cleft (split ) down the fibres of the tree . This keeps the fibres uncut so that water (and hence rot ) cannot get into the fibre end . It is stronger than sawn oak and should last 30 years without any treatment . The process of cleaving and shaving the oak produces strong but irregular pieces of wood that have an almost polished feel to them .The oak itself is obtained as part of the sustainable management of Local woodlands .
The items from left to right are :-
- SMALL GARDEN BORDER -
- Approx dimensions are 4ft long by 1ft high .Joints are hand made mortice and tenon joints with the small palings held on with copper nails . Looks good around garden edges and will last a lot longer than the treated softwood versions.
- GARDEN BENCH -
- approx dimensions are 4ft long by by 2ft wide by 18 inches high . The joints are all hand made mortice and tenon joints . Could also be used as a coffee table if you don't want to put cups on it . These are individually made to order , so you can specify different sizes if you want them .
- GATE HURDLE -
- These used to be used for the temporary holding of sheep over a patch of grass , can now be used for fencing or features in the garden . Dimensions 4ft6inch by 4ft high , hand made mortice and tenon joints , secured with copper nails . Other sizes also available .These are not really strong enough for use as gates though .
- CHEVRON TRELLIS -
- Original design by Ben Harris . Dimensions 6ft high by 3ft wide .Hand made mortice and tenon joints , secured with copper nails .
- FAN TRELLIS -
- Traditional design . Dimensions 6ft high 3ft wide secured with copper nails .Other sizes to order
- MEDIUM FAN TRELLIS -
- smaller version 42inches wide and 60 inches high . Copper nailed